By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
News for IndiaNews for IndiaNews for India
  • Home
  • Posts
  • Search Page
  • About us
Reading: France Moves to Ban Social Media for Under-15s, Follows Australia’s Lead
Share
Font ResizerAa
News for IndiaNews for India
Font ResizerAa
  • Economics
  • Business
  • Home
  • Categories
    • Business
    • Economics
  • About us
  • Sitemap
Follow US
  • Advertise
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
News for India > Business > France Moves to Ban Social Media for Under-15s, Follows Australia’s Lead
Business

France Moves to Ban Social Media for Under-15s, Follows Australia’s Lead

Last updated: January 27, 2026 8:25 am
3 weeks ago
Share
SHARE



France is moving closer to imposing one of Europe’s strictest limits on children’s access to social media, after lawmakers in the country’s lower house backed a bill that would prohibit under-15s from using social media platforms. The proposal, championed by President Emmanuel Macron, is being framed as a response to mounting concerns over excessive screen time, mental health risks, and foreign influence online.

The bill was passed by the lower house of the French National Assembly in an overnight session, winning approval by 130 votes to 21. It will now move to the Senate, where lawmakers are expected to debate it in the coming weeks. If approved, the legislation would make France the second country after Australia to introduce a nationwide ban on teenage social media use.

A Push Framed Around Protection

Macron hailed the vote as a “major step” in protecting children and adolescents, arguing that young people’s emotions and attention should not be shaped or monetised by global tech platforms. In recent remarks, the French president has repeatedly stressed that algorithms-whether American or Chinese-should not dictate how children think, feel, or grow up.

Interdire les réseaux sociaux aux moins de 15 ans : c’est ce que préconisent les scientifiques, c’est ce que demandent massivement les Français.

Après un travail fructueux avec le Gouvernement, l’Assemblée nationale vient de dire oui.

C’est une étape majeure.…

— Emmanuel Macron (@EmmanuelMacron) January 26, 2026

Former prime minister Gabriel Attal, who now leads Macron’s Renaissance party in the Assembly, said the legislation was also about safeguarding national independence. Beyond mental health, Attal argued that social media platforms have become tools through which outside powers seek to “colonise minds,” especially among younger users.

How the Ban Would Be Implemented

Under the proposed law, the ban would apply to children under the age of 15 and would be enforced beginning with the 2026 school year for newly created accounts. Attal said the government hopes the Senate will pass the bill by mid-February, allowing the rules to come into force from September 1.

Social media companies would then have until December 31 to deactivate existing accounts that fail to meet the age requirements. The legislation also includes a ban on mobile phone use within schools, reinforcing France’s broader effort to limit screen exposure during school hours.

Online encyclopedias and educational platforms are explicitly excluded from the scope of the ban.

Europe Edges Toward Tougher Rules

France’s move comes as the European Union debates tougher safeguards for minors online. The European Parliament has called for an EU-wide restriction on social media access for users under 16, reflecting growing alarm over studies linking heavy social media use among young teens to anxiety, depression, and cyberbullying.

While Macron has previously urged Brussels to adopt a bloc-wide ban for under-15s, enforcement remains complex, as age limits ultimately fall under national jurisdiction. Still, lawmakers say France could set a precedent for other EU countries to follow.

ALSO READ: Andhra Pradesh Considering Australia-Like Social Media Ban For Kids: Nara Lokesh

Watch LIVE TV, Get Stock Market Updates,
Top Business, IPO and
Latest News on NDTV Profit.






Source link

You Might Also Like

Access Denied

Access Denied

Access Denied

Nifty 50 Trading Strategy: Analysts recommend Bear Put Spread options strategy for 24 February expiry | Stock Market News

Is the world entering a new order? Ray Dalio explains that we are at a stage of weakening rules, great powers clash | Stock Market News

TAGGED:FranceMacronSocial media
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Email Print
Previous Article Gold, Silver Price Today, Jan 27 — Check Prices In Mumbai, Delhi, Chennai, And Other Cities
Next Article Budget 2026 Expectations Live: Focus On Skilling, Digital Healthcare Push And More
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

We influence 20 million users and is the number one business and technology news network on the planet.

Find Us on Socials

News for IndiaNews for India
© Wealth Wave Designed by Preet Patel. All Rights Reserved.
  • BUSINESS