By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
News for IndiaNews for IndiaNews for India
  • Home
  • Posts
  • Search Page
  • About us
Reading: Bessent says there’s a ‘very good chance’ U.S. budget deficit under Trump has peaked
Share
Font ResizerAa
News for IndiaNews for India
Font ResizerAa
  • Economics
  • Business
  • Home
  • Categories
    • Business
    • Economics
  • About us
  • Sitemap
Follow US
  • Advertise
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
News for India > Economics > Bessent says there’s a ‘very good chance’ U.S. budget deficit under Trump has peaked
Economics

Bessent says there’s a ‘very good chance’ U.S. budget deficit under Trump has peaked

Last updated: August 20, 2026 9:53 pm
2 hours ago
Share
SHARE


Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent speaking with CNBC on Aug. 4th, 2026.

CNBC

Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said Thursday there’s a “very good chance” that the U.S. budget deficit under President Donald Trump has likely peaked.

“We are going to be laser focused,” Bessent told CNBC’s Sara Eisen in an exclusive interview a day after his department’s extraordinary debt buyback announcement.

The monthly U.S. budget deficit topped $432 billion in July, its highest level in more than half of a decade, the Treasury Department said last week. That monthly report showed the gap for the fiscal year to date climbed to almost $1.8 trillion, above where it was at the same point a year earlier.

The Treasury Department announced this week that the U.S. government debt pile to fund those deficits hit a new record above $40 trillion. The total has more than doubled over the last decade, exacerbating concerns about the country’s financial health.

Bessent said himself, Trump and Russell Vought, director of the Office of Management and Budget, are among federal government leaders working on fiscal consolidation measures. Several hundreds of billions of dollars could be saved through these efforts, Bessent said.

The White House has marketed its goals for broad and steep tariffs on trading partners as a driver of revenue that can help shrink the national debt. But those levies have run into repeated legal roadblocks, most notably with the Supreme Court’s decision to strike many of them down.

Yet Bessent said he expected this year’s tariff revenue to come in at around the same level as 2025’s after levies were re-implemented despite the challenges. Those revenues should not have to be refunded to companies this time, he said.

“There’s nothing magic about the 40-trillion number,” Bessent said. “We can grow our way out of that.”

Choose CNBC as your preferred source on Google and never miss a moment from the most trusted name in business news.



Source link

You Might Also Like

Stocks making the biggest moves midday: Walmart, Deere, CrowdStrike, Moderna & more

Bessent says Treasury buyback operation could be more than $4 billion

Wall Street stocks edge lower as bond yields rebound | Stock Market News

Bitcoin rallies past $70,000 as falling US yields, Trump’s crypto meeting boost optimism | Stock Market News

Stocks making the biggest moves premarket: Walmart, Coinbase, Moderna, Alibaba & more

TAGGED:Breaking News: EconomyBreaking News: InvestingBreaking News: MarketsBusiness NewsDonald J. TrumpDonald TrumpEconomic eventsEconomyGovernment and politicsInvestment strategyJ.D. VanceMarketsSara EisenScott BessentStock marketsUnited States
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Email Print
Previous Article Access Denied
Next Article Retail F&O losses ease, but frequent traders continue to bear the brunt | Stock Market News
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

We influence 20 million users and is the number one business and technology news network on the planet.

Find Us on Socials

News for IndiaNews for India
© Wealth Wave Designed by Preet Patel. All Rights Reserved.
  • BUSINESS